Outdoor Activities for Summer
The long, cold winter is over and summer is officially underway! The English summer can be unpredictable but when those sunny days do arrive, you want to be out there enjoying the sun. But with so many possibilities, it can be tricky to decide what to do. You don’t want to just be spending your summer in beer gardens, why not get out there and do some activities instead? We’ve got a whole list of outdoor activities for summer for you to try out so let’s get stuck in!
Outdoor activities in the rain
As we know all too well, the sun doesn’t always make a big appearance in the UK during the summertime. But that doesn’t mean you should stay stuck indoors! We’re used to a bit of drizzle so get your wellies and waterproof on and give some of these outdoor activities a go.
- Go on a nature adventure – there’s loads of wildlife that just loves the rain – especially by bodies of water. Why not go down to your local lake or pond and see if you can spot any ducks or amphibious creatures?
- Explore a cave – if you’re lucky enough to be by the sea or any kind of rock formation, why not go and explore a cave? You’ll be out of the weather while still enjoying the outside – just make sure you keep an eye on that tide!
- Go for a swim – if you’re getting wet already then the rain doesn’t matter! Swimming in the sea in the rain is a great activity and the weather can create some great waves to enjoy.
- Create a chalk masterpiece – water intensifies the colour of chalk so why not make the most of the downpour and create your own chalk masterpiece on the pavement?
- Row your boat – if there’s a stream nearby or even a stream of water from the rain, why not make a makeshift boat out of twigs and leaves and race them? This activity is great for kids and adults alike and gets the creative juices flowing.
With the sun trying to make an appearance soon, outdoor swimming is the perfect summer activity. You can cool down after a day in the sun and also get some exercise in there too! There’s a multitude of outdoor swimming options to choose from.
- Outdoor swimming pool – wherever you live in the UK, there is bound to be a lido somewhere nearby. Outdoor swimming pools are perfect to visit with friends and family and usually have a cafe attached or close by so you can happily spend the day there. The only thing to bear in mind here is that they usually need to be booked so make sure you check and don’t just turn up on the day!
- Wild swimming – whether it’s a lake or a big pond, there are endless wild swimming opportunities right here in the UK. Dive into nature and experience the freedom of wild swimming – find a wild swimming spot near you here.
- Paddling pools – bring out your inner child and get yourself a paddling pool! If the pools near you are booked up or you just fancy putting your feet up and sitting in your garden, a paddling pool is the perfect choice for you. And if you have kids or nieces and nephews, they’re going to get a lot of use out of it too – great swimming fun for the whole family.
- Beaches – nothing says summer like the great British seaside. Why not try boogie boarding or even attempt surfing? It’s a great way to enjoy the water and even get a bit of exercise in there too. Plus you can always treat yourself to an ice cream and some fish and chips after as well – you deserve it!
Outdoor games for kids – and adults!
If you’re having a BBQ or a summer party or even if you’re bored and fancy trying something new, outdoor games are a great way to pass the time. There’s a whole bunch to choose from including:
- Swingball – this classic never goes out of style. This outdoor game will provide hours of entertainment and the best part is, you don’t have to worry about losing the ball! Get yourself a swingball set and a couple of rackets and let the games begin!
- Giant chess – this outdoor game is for the brainy people out there. Giant chess tests your thinking as well as being a great game for everyone to get involved with.
- Hoopla – hoopla is a great outdoor game for kids as it tests your hand eye coordination and is simple to play. You also don’t need that much space to play it in so if you’ve got a garden that’s a bit on the small side, it’s no problem! It’s also perfect to take with you to a park as it’s easy to transport.
- Rounders set – rounders is an old school favourite that brings out the competitive streak in all of us. Take this outdoor game to a park, get some teams together and be the envy of everyone there!
Free outdoor activities
Summer can be an expensive time for everyone so you’re going to need some free outdoor activities so you can still enjoy the outdoors. What better way to spend a summer’s day than doing a scenic walk? Whether you live in a city or the countryside, there’s no better time to explore where you live than the summer. Enjoy all the sights your hometown has to offer by going on a scenic walk with friends or a partner or even on your own.
Hiking trails are also a great free outdoor activity. You get a good amount of exercise, feel more at one with the outdoors and get into nature. If you’ve got dogs, you can make them part of your trip too! Why not check out this list of ten of the best hiking trails in the UK and see if there’s one near you.
Don’t forget to pack a snack when you are out and about on your adventures. Our TREK bars are the perfect, high protein snack to keep you energised throughout the day! Buy a TREK bar here.
Now you’ve got all your outdoor activities for summer planned, why not check out some of our other blog posts? Take a look at The Benefits of the Great Outdoors or Slow Energy Release Foods for more fitness and well-being tips from TREK.