Food and exercise are both important parts of a healthy lifestyle. However, one is not more important than the other. In fact, they work in unison to form a healthy diet. The key is to strike the right balance between eating right and working out so that you can feel happy and healthy!
1.Eat a nutritious diet – Eating a variety of nutritious foods like fruits, vegetables and whole grains can help improve performance and recovery because you are giving your body the nutrients it needs to cope with the extra strain placed upon it by exercise.
2. Get your portions right – Portion control is key to maintaining a healthy lifestyle. Too small of a portion may not provide your body with the energy it needs to sustain a workout, whereas too much food could prevent you from seeing the results you want. You can refer to the NHS’ Eat Well Guide in order to understand how much of each food group you should consume for a well balanced diet.
3. Plan when you want to exercise – Knowing when you want to exercise can also help you plan when to eat your meals. For example, if you want to wake up early and go for a run, then ensure you set your alarm a little earlier so you have time to eat breakfast. This ensures you never exercise on an empty stomach. It can also help to keep you motivated as you don’t have the excuse of not working out because you haven’t eaten anything yet.
4. Do something physical every day – You eat every day, so why not be active every day? This doesn’t mean you have to go to the gym seven days a week, it can be as simple as going for a walk at lunch or using a standing desk instead of sitting. This can help improve your fitness levels, as well as keep your bones and muscles strong and healthy!
5. Change to healthier snacking habits – There is a misconception that snacking is ‘bad’, especially when you are looking to be healthier. But this is simply not the case. You just need to improve your snacking habits. Instead of eating unhealthy snacks that are high in saturated fats or sugar, you should turn to foods that can actually help you on your fitness journey. For example, snacks that are high in protein can make for a great pre-workout snack by providing you with the energy you need to power through your exercise routine.
There are many benefits to living a healthy lifestyle. Eating well and exercising regularly not only has a positive effect on your physical health, but your mental health, helping to improve your overall well-being. This includes:
1.Reducing stress – Exercise and eating healthy can release endorphins and make you feel good which is a great stress buster. Studies have found that almost any form of exercise can help you de-stress so you can do whatever makes you happy like yoga, jogging or dancing.
2. Improving quality of sleep – Some healthy vegan foods like almonds, kiwis, walnuts and chamomile tea can actually help you get a better night sleep. Keeping active can also make you feel more tired which can lead to a deeper, more meaningful rest.
3. Reducing the risk of chronic diseases – Exercise can help strengthen your heart and improve circulation which can reduce the risk of serious diseases like heart disease or high cholesterol. Food also plays an important part with various heart healthy and low cholesterol diets all having a role in reducing the risk of disease.
4. Keeping you feeling young – Age is truly just a number! Diet and exercise can help slow down the aging process because you are actively keeping your body in tip top shape. Again, this does not have to be an intense workout, you should only do what is comfortable for you. Low impact exercises like walking the dog or gardening helps to keep those bones moving to prevent bone loss. A healthy diet that is full of nutrients and antioxidants can also help fight off diseases, whereas an unhealthy diet could cause them.
There we have it! All the ways you can balance food and exercise, and why it is important to do exactly that. From keeping active every day, to eating a nutritious diet, these small changes to your daily life can have a significant impact on your overall well-being!
Don’t forget to buy a TREK bar to enjoy before or after your workout!